"Coach"

There is a big part of me that loves that my kids get to be so involved in their Dad's career. I always liked going to work with my Dad when I was younger. So Saturday when the Seniors were here, Cooper started calling his Dad "Coach", which I knew would probably some day come. It's always weird, because everyone calls him "Coach" and to me, he's Jeremy. To his kids he should probably be "Dad", Cooper does still call him Dad, but when the boys are around he calls him Coach. Is it bad that he calls him Coach?

So why do I like for my kids to be around this? Well, for starters we are blessed this year and have a great group of guys. Everyone at the basketball games has been so helpful in keeping up with Cooper running around, I'm just not very fast these days. The older kids that play Jr. High Ball or JV keep him entertained and include him during games, which I think is nice.

The Senior boys are really nice to Cooper, they always play with him when they come over for breakfast. Recently we left some cars at a game, and a mom picked them up. Her son brought them over and played with Cooper for about 45 minutes one day. I think that says a lot for him to do that.

They let both of my kids climb all over them, join them for tea parties, cars and trains. Cooper can tell you just about every boys name, he really knows the Seniors best, but we spend the most time with them outside of the gym.

So all I can do is hope that we are as much of a blessing to them, either now, or whenever they look back on their time at Newkirk as they are to us. I'm sure not every Coach is as involved in their players lives, but I think that's part of why you're a coach, you want to make a positive difference in the lives of your players on and off the court.

3 comments:

Gena said...

I think that is so sweet. He looks up to his Dad just like the big kids do.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I think that's great! You just made me realize my kids never got that opportunity because of the kind of job my husband has :( I loved going up to my Dad's office growing up too.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blog Archive