Really, it's been 10 years?!?

10 years ago I had just returned from some of the best times and travels of my life. I was lucky enough to go on the Vienna Studies 2001 program, I remember when at OC that was a big deal to go on that. After our year for whatever reason that kinda fell off. Which, hello college students, a semester abroad, traveling, learning about other cultures, making life-long friends, you're really missing out. I will say I think our group was so lucky, we had amazing sponsors in Mickey and Jane Banister, and our group gelled so well together it was almost unreal. We all enjoyed being together. (Which I know you won't find in every group!) I may have not really cared about my 10 year high school reunion, but a 10 year Vienna Reunion, I jumped at the chance to help out with and attend that one. It was so great to see a number of our group, we held out over homecoming so Mickey and Jane would be back from their 3rd tour of Vienna, sounds like a lot has changed since we went. Although I have books of photos and boxes of memories, here are a few of the best!

 Our group on Halloween, I don't know why this is the only group pic I have...
My trusted Dad's back pack that I traveled all over with, 
and my best traveling partner April!


 My mom surprised me about half way through when we met her family in 
Germany for the first time!
Mandy, Jenn, and I, we ate a lot of good Gelato....
oh what I wouldn't give for some of that now!

Our group and new additions that could make it out to Royal Bavaria in Moore 
to eat Saturday!
The pic above is how we signed this book on a retreat we went on. 
I don't know if people even still go out there, but we agonized for ever how we 
were going to leave "our mark". So this is what we came up with, it's a subway map,
with the lines representing countries we'd visited so far, and we put our
first or last name into famous landmarks. I drew this out in the book, 
so I digitalized the picture that I had and made magnets for everyone
as a keep sake. I'm just glad they turned out good and people didn't think it was stupid, haha!

2 comments:

Aubrie said...

We had such a great group & sponsors! A lot changed with the program after us, sadly.

I'm glad we have such good memories! And I loved the magnet! It's on my fridge right now.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Fun reading! I don't know about the changes, but the students I know that go on these programs still seemed pretty excited about it! Very creative signatures!

Blog Archive