Kitchen Gadget Obsession

So I might have a kitchen gadget obsession, but only with ones that I'll use. My Christmas list looked about like this:
Non stick skillet
Sugar shaker
Whip creamer (like they use at Starbucks)
Calzone mold
Tortilla press

So I had a few other items too, but mostly stuff for my kitchen. I like the idea of making homemade pizza crust and tortillas, just like I love homemade ice cream. You can control what is in it. I saw a video about home made tortillas, which made me want a press. You could roll these out, but a press is way more fun! Mexican food around here is good, but sometimes you just need a good fresh tortilla. So I set out today and made homemade tortillas for our tacos tonight! I used Pioneer Woman's flour tortilla recipe. It's a little time consuming because you have to let the dough rest, but you can mix it, forget about it, roll it into smaller balls and then let sit till you're ready to cook them.
My first attempt was a success, Cooper even ate a few, which is huge!



Roll into smaller balls




Put the ball toward the middle back and press



Cook on some sort of flat top, I just love this flat iron skillet (It's useful for cookie cakes too!)



Wrap in foil to keep warm!

The foil does keep them pretty warm, when I went back for a third taco, my tortilla was still pipping hot!
They are a little smaller and I was worried the press made them thin, but they were perfect. I wouldn't suggest using them for enchiladas, but for tacos they were great, they'd be great with some butter, or dipped in cheese!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Glad you posted because I was wondering what it (the press) looked like! Those look delicious!

suzspeaks said...

I want one! How cool

Blog Archive