thoughts on cloth....

Before Maddie was born I did a lot of research on switching to cloth diapers. I visited The Green Bambino, talked to friends that have used them, read about different brands online. After doing the math I told Jeremy I was going to use cloth diapers with Maddie. Well, we started using them with her in September. She was  is so small I had to find one she wasn't unhappy in. The tri-fold diapers are just so bulky for her, and really the ones I have been using with her are pretty bulky on her as well. (yes, honey they make your non-existent butt look big). So we use flips at our house, and they work pretty well, I just wish they made a petite size! I will openly admit that I probably would not have made this decision if we still lived in the city, but since we don't, and rarely make trips out of our house, they do save a lot of money and really aren't bad to change. Although I've noticed a sharp decline in her father changing diapers since we switched. In his defense, he does still change Cooper's diaper.....who refuses to potty in the potty.


 But, I do feel like she has more redness in them. I change her regularly and put anointment on her, so I'm wondering if it is the detergent I use. I just wash them in All Free and Clear, which I wash everything in and nothing else seems to bother her....any thoughts on this?

4 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

Maybe change her more frequently? Or the type of ointment? Do you use dryer sheets? I found when I use dryer sheets they leave a weird residue on the diapers so I don't use them when I dry diapers. That's all I can think of!

Jessica said...

Hey girl. I use smartipants, and love them. You really aren't supposed to use anointment on a baby while they have a cloth diaper on, because it will interfere with the diaper's absorbency. Also, only use about 1/4 amount of detergent on them. I also let my diapers air dry, and that seems to help. Connor ONLY gets diaper rashes if I use disposable diapers now! His body reacts to the chemicals in the disposables! I feel like the smartipants aren't as bulky as other brands. Green Bambino doesn't carry them, but you can order them online. www.smartipants.com

Zac and Mandy said...

I tried several and my favorites are the flip inserts with the thirsties duo wrap covers .Mason is pretty skinny and they aren't bulky. I have heard good things about smartipants, but haven't tried them. I was also told not to use ointment on the cloth diapers and to use the detergent called Charlie's Soap. I thought using the "Free" detergents would be good, but it turns out it has something in it that clings to the fabrics which could be causing the rash. The Charlie's soap may seem expensive (about $15) but it lasts forever because you only use a small amt. Good luck!

Ryan and Katie said...

ooo also look at what kind of wipes you use....

Blog Archive